Wednesday, May 5, 2010

men, feminism, gender, blah

I'm not doing the work I set out to do today. Instead, I found myself in my honours thesis, looking for something to extract and send to the Men and Feminism blog. I like the idea of the blog, but I'm kinda struggling with it, and other writings about men, feminism, gender, sexuality...

Is it just me, or is all the really mind-blowing stuff circulating about these things (men, feminism, gender, sexuality) the stuff that doesn't sit down to address these topics squarely? Isn't the best stuff a little bit sly in it's presence, a little bit playful, a little bit on the margins?

If I were to write 5000 words on my relationship to feminism it would not be interesting to read (or write). But if my feminism is a tool with which to write other things, this is more interesting (to me anyway). Same with my sexuality. What can I say about that? I'd rather let it inflect itself in my words, my practices, my life. And that, I believe, has political force. More so than obvious gestures towards a named (and therefore more coded, rigid, bounded) politics of gender, sexuality or feminism. Surely.

And potentially it has more reach. If I didn't care about feminism, I wouldn't read a blog about it. Though of course, the blog is a nice way to share things amongst believers. Not everything has to be designed to kick-start a revolution. So it's good. But not (yet) very enthralling (for me).

I need to be enthralled. Send me something.

3 comments:

  1. Don't think I can trump Jessie, but it seems Deborah and I share "straight" hair. Apparently mine is too big to be queer, and it had outed me well before my trip to Sydney. That's what they tell me, anyway. I look forward to reading your post, Pablo. I was just thinking about you at cinematheque, throughout the Demy/Varda double bill, but more on that later. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh my. i just found your/my mid-flight deborah. that is enthralling! as is the thought of a demy/varda double bill.
    wish i was there (on the flight / in the cinema)

    ReplyDelete