Wednesday, January 6, 2010

i love dick

it's the new year. i had stuff to write but maybe now i'm too tired to articulate.

i've almost finished reading i love dick and it's given me much to think about. chris kraus's thoughts about writing and art and gender are not strangers to my own. her contemplations give me much to consider about the politics of a life. and the choices i make, she makes, in order to challenge status quos, but which may inadvertently render us stupid by those (most people) likely to read us in more conventional ways.

through my art/life/writing/politics i aim for honesty. i wish to put my vulnerabilities and uncertainties on the agenda, exposed. and maybe this could open a new discussion away from that discussion where we all pretend that things are nice and ordered, and where we know exactly what we're doing and why.

and this seems to be why i'm a phd fuck-up. because there's no room for uncertainty in that space. this is not a zine, but the foundations of a career of a social scientist who must demonstrate (his) knowledge within the confines of an existing discourse of knowledge.

my (self-indulgent) reading of chris kraus has helped me to see this. but of course, there's much more in this novel that makes it a compelling read. i never read books this fast.

thanks anna for the lend. much to discuss.

No comments:

Post a Comment