Monday, January 18, 2010

catching the late bus

this morning i slept in, for which i felt guilty. on my phone was a message from J who asked if I was awake and wanted breakfast. apparently he was on the street below, but imagined I'd be asleep at the time he messaged. and i was. bummer. another reason to stop being so lazy.

but my guilt is now gone. standing at the bus stop, being late, i see a figure in the cafe stand and move towards the door. is that...? yeah, it's him. we haven't seen each other in maybe a year. he looks good. he says i look good. he comments on my grey hairs. he later compliments my moustache. he's warm and lovely. i tell him that i had a crap year, but that i'm feeling good about this new year. he tells me that last year wasn't good for him either, that he was diagnosed with MS. reality-check: maybe my year wasn't so bad after all. we say we should catch up. i hope we do. he's doing stuff for midsumma festival, like lots of good people. wish i could go.

today's lesson is that maybe it's good to be slack sometimes.

i do love my bus stop. over the years i've had many bus stops, but this is by far the finest. standing in the centre of newtown you get to see a lot. many people, familiar and strange. a sense that this is my spot and these are my people. it's a familiarity that never gets tired.

No comments:

Post a Comment