Sunday, July 17, 2011

some people might say...



life away from facebook is nice. my only concern is that some people might take my disappearance as a personal rejection, as is likely to happen in a space where your friendship becomes reduced to a digital link. if you take away that point of mediation does the friendship fall down? i suspect it often does. but that's okay, because i don't need 180 friends.

the friendships i need will continue via interactions that aren't so faceless. i suspect these will be friendships that never became too digitalised anyway.

deleting my avatar brings many good things. here's a list:

1. i have less opportunity to read reams of mundane 'self statements'.

2. i don't spend time asking why such statements needed to be broadcast.

3. i don't have to mediate a response (or non-response) to everything i see/read.

4. i don't have so much white noise to contend with.

5. i don't often say "i know" when people tell me something about themselves.

6. i have one less reason to get angry about people.

7. i have one less space in which to judge people.

8. i have significant less opportunity to procrastinate, and more time for other things that make me feel more accomplished in my days.

9. i feel less lonely.

10. i have more room to think about my privacy and why this is important.

another good thing is that i write more. most of this is not available to friends and acquaintances, which is great, because they don't need to read it. and i shouldn't need to have it validated (liked) by them. it's a private space in which i process events, feelings, things, and it only serves me, which is how i need it to be. there's a different tone in my words when i'm not fitting them to particular audiences. there's less room for me to perform what i think i need to. but there's also more confidence that something will come of this, someday.

No comments:

Post a Comment