Tuesday, September 9, 2008

today i hate...

my workmate. i discovered a document on our desktop that he's working on which suggests that he's writing (and disregarding) the section of the report that I've been working on. hmm...

there is hierarchy at play.

he has referred to himself as the writer of the report on several occasions but i shrugged this off. he's also mentioned that he'd like to get a couple of papers out of this. hmm...

when he's around i'm the student, the temp, the person whom he sometimes speaks to as senior/mentor/doctor. when he actually works, that is.

i want to ask my supervisor for clarification on my role, and on who's doing what, but i fear that i might come across as bitchy and competitive. am i? i don't think so. i think i'm concerned that all the work i'm doing is in vain. that my stresses have been pointless. or that he will appropriate it for his own career advancement. this thought, with the thought of how difficult it's been juggling this job and my studies, makes me want to scream and kick holes in walls.

and there's more...

he came in this afternoon (he generally doesn't work on a tuesday), brought another guy into our room, introduced us, and said 'we're going to gossip'. they sat behind me (whilst i read over his stupid lit review) and talked about boys. seriously, they were teenage girls. competitively they discussed how 'in need' they each were, given their current separation from their boyfriends. they boasted about remaining faithful, yet whinged about how difficult that was. they giggled and fussed for what seemed like an hour. i worked. i fumed. did they not notice me? as if i wasn't hating him enough already.

and he's working again tomorrow. grr...

No comments:

Post a Comment