Friday, October 22, 2010

down time

today is a day to catch my breath. i slept in. i'm on my third load of washing. i'm not yet showered. i had breakfast, and then more breakfast (for lunch). P asked if i'm enjoying the sun. nope. i'm just enjoying doing nothing.

busy doing nothing


i did walk to bourke st bakery for a loaf of bread, so got some sunshine on my brow. and i put my sheets on the washing line, where they now flap. i imagine my poor sleeping patterns have now been rinsed away.

i sent 20000 words to my supervisors and decided to scrap chapter 4 in favour of 5 big chapters. which means, draft-wise, i'm more than half way. approx 55000 words. not that i believe in counting. though just doing the sums now is a little comforting. makes me feel like this day off is deserved.

monday, in the pool, i altered the way i lift my head to inhale. i keep my head pointed forward, more downward, and the water washes over it. it feels different, and i now move faster, approaching the walls with speed. a simple gesture makes a big difference. practice, repetition, adjustment, and discovery. much like writing. and i can't help but conflate swimming with writing, yet again. these movements are in sync. writing this chapter was a struggle, but easier than the last one, easier than 4 months ago. i have more rhythm. my body falls into the words with less hesitation, less fear, and sometimes i forget that these are my efforts that push me through.

No comments:

Post a Comment