Wednesday, March 25, 2009

offline but no time

it's very hot here at my once-a-week faraway uni. my pants are sticking to the backs of my legs. my shoes want to be taken off. as does my t-shirt. i need a beach.

the working day is almost done. one more tutorial. the one that was difficult last week, when people weren't speaking, were looking down. hopefully my chatty students are back.

i lost my monday (my study day) this week, so have felt a bit stressed and scrambled. will i manage to study this week? and it's been a week since i had a swim? what's going on? where are my hours?

the weekend was lost to Newie. but it was a good loss. i spent time with my faraway boyfriend. i stayed, for the first time, in his new temporary home. it's an unusual space to be in, as us. we were both a bit whingey. but we made some special moments too. we watched Shortbus again. we (over)indulged in good food. we said goodbye to Bull St.

yesterday was a bad mood. Paris wanted my attention and cooperation, but he didn't get it. he later said i was shy. not shy, but stressed. and today i'm staying offline so as not to chat with him. i'm tired of him. i'm uncertain. i'm wanting a slice of spare time to work on my thesis. so i'm avoiding the difficult stuff. yet i'm filling my evenings with everything except him.

tonight is my only free night. but it's not, because i plan to hire dvds from the video library i joined on friday. it's $1 weekly dvds night. this makes me a little excited. no talking, no thinking about the difficult stuff, just me before the screen. a replacement screen perhaps, now that the interweb is available at home. but this too is a good loss. i'm liking my newfound inaccessibility. i'm liking my new prioritisation of offline communication.

in today's tute we talked about online chatting as a form of communication (a thing of my past). we spoke of how 'chat' has informed speech. some students admitted to saying ROFL and OMG (as in oh-em-gee) in everyday speech. weird. i guess i am an old man after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment